Savaii, Samoa’s largest and less developed island, offers a serene escape from modern life with its unspoiled natural beauty, rich cultural traditions, and welcoming community. Despite its laid-back atmosphere, visitors can still enjoy comfortable accommodations ranging from cozy beachside bungalows to upscale resorts with modern amenities.
Here’s a list of activities and things to do on the beautiful island of Savai’i:
- Visit the Alofaaga Blowholes: Witness the impressive natural blowholes along the southern coast of Savai’i, where powerful waves create spectacular water spouts.
- Swim in the Afu Aau Waterfall: Take a refreshing dip in the clear, cool waters of Afu Aau Waterfall and explore the surrounding lush rainforest.
- Explore Saleaula Lava Fields: Walk through the eerie remnants of a lava field from a volcanic eruption in the early 20th century, including the ruins of a church buried by lava.
- Snorkeling and Diving: Discover the underwater wonders of Savai’i by snorkeling or diving in spots like Taga Blowholes and Palagi Shipwreck.
- Lover’s Leap: Visit this picturesque coastal site with a dramatic sea cliff, offering breathtaking views of the ocean and coastline.
- Swim with Turtles at Turtle Trench: Snorkel with friendly sea turtles in the unique Turtle Trench, a natural enclosure for these graceful creatures.
- Hike to Mount Matavanu: Embark on a challenging hike to the summit of Mount Matavanu, an active volcano, for panoramic views of Savai’i and its surroundings.
- Explore the Falealupo Peninsula: Visit the lush Falealupo Rainforest Preserve, take a canopy walk among the treetops, and see the ancient Banyan Tree with a spiral staircase.
- Tafua Peninsula Rainforest Preserve: Hike through the dense rainforest, where you can spot rare and colorful birds and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
- Swim in the Piula Cave Pool: Take a refreshing swim in the cool waters of the Piula Cave Pool, a freshwater spring within a cave complex.
- Visit the Salelologa Market: Immerse yourself in local culture by exploring the bustling Salelologa Market, where you can purchase fresh produce, handicrafts, and souvenirs.
- Fiafia Nights: Experience a traditional Samoan feast and cultural performance during a Fiafia Night at one of the island’s resorts.
- Beachcombing: Enjoy leisurely walks along the pristine beaches of Savai’i, collecting seashells and enjoying the serene atmosphere.
- Savai’i Surfs: If you’re a surfer, catch some waves at surf breaks like Aganoa Beach and the North Coast’s Fagamalo and Lefaga Beaches.
- Learn About Samoan History: Visit the Salelologa Wharf area, where you can learn about the history of Savai’i and its role in Samoa’s past.
Savai’i offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural experiences, and outdoor adventures for travelers seeking a tranquil yet enriching getaway.